Friday, July 16, 2010

Valley Girl 2010

Valley Girl 2010

Family, Friends and the Accidental Medalist


The Valley Girl Sprint: It’s become an annual tradition. Annette and I have been here four years straight, dragging assorted friends and family into the fracas as momentum grows. And ya know what? Somehow, it keeps getting better!


Entourage and Team UGB
This year we were accompanied by Christine, Heidi and Annette’s sister Diana. But not only did we have five racers, oh no, this was friends and family affair to the max! Christine brought her son Wyatt and Heidi brought her two kids Dagmar and Joey. Diana’s friend Macy was taking the run leg in Diana’s mini-relay team and her husband Greg was there to cheer as well. Annette’s other sister Kathy played gracious host (again!) along with her husband Greg and three kids Sarah, Jacob and Anna. To that we added the original Uber Gear Bitches: my husband Mark along with Annette’s Husband Steve. And we topped that all off with the crowning of a new UGB, Diana’s fiancé Sir Patrick! Wow! We are so lucky to have these folks in our lives… thank you!

*** Mark: The Ultimate UGB ***


Pre Race Roll of Lifesavers
More than sufficiently carbo-loaded from our wonderful dinner at Kathy’s house on Saturday night, we arrived at the race venue excited, relaxed and optimistic. Check in was a breeze and we had lots of time to mill around bumping into people Diana knew and getting a few pre-race photos.

*** Pre Race: The Lifesaver Roll Color Brigade ***


Wetsuit, or Not to Wetsuit?
I had debated long and hard about wearing my old sleeveless wetsuit. My new long-sleeved one would be too warm, and I was concerned that going without any wetsuit at all would impact my results. Hmmmm… faster swim or slower transition time? I decided to wear the sleeveless. I started on the outside and got a good jump on the other gals in my age group. I felt strong and caught my breath and rhythm rather easily. Rounding the first buoy was another matter, as there were throngs of swimmers from the previous wave bobbing around looking bewildered. I made my way through them carefully as I didn’t want to be “that girl” that swam over someone and then was able to swim strong around the second buoy and down the home stretch. Just as I started to think I was getting a little too warm and the suit was feeling a little too loose, my fingers touched the bottom and it was time to get up and run! I ended up being the second person in my age group out of the water and had the seventh fastest time overall. Hooray!

*** Trying to Run to T1, New Concept for Me! ***



T1 and Let’s Roll!
I had a brief flashback as I trotted into transition looking for my Cervelo. In 2007 I had ridden my mountain bike in the race. I remember Annette and I were captivated at the triathlon bikes we saw here and it never occurred to me that someday I’d own one. But three years, two bikes and many dollars later yes, that was a 100% triathlon bike waiting for me in T1. How fun! I was onto the bike course quickly and did a good job holding my heart rate down as I climbed the biggish hill out from the lake. Once onto the flats I let ‘er rip and had a blast as I did all the passing for the entire twelve-mile leg. I got to wave at Annette, Heidi and Christine on the out and back and zoomed down the hill to T2 with the third fastest bike time in my age group and still in second place.

*** Zoom, Trying to Slow Down into T2! ***


T2 and Run, Run, Run!
I had a good (for me) transition but was passed by another gal in my age group in T2 so I headed out onto the course third. I hadn’t even set my hat on straight when I promptly got passed decisively by a reeeeeallllyyy tall (and fast) gal leaving me in fourth. Soon enough I was running well, but with nobody behind me and nobody (catchable) in front of me I simply ran strong throughout the uphill course. It actually felt really comfortable compared to last year where I had pushed myself to the edge trying (and failing) to out sprint a fifteen-year-old. I came down the home stretch happy to see the UGBs and in fourth place in my age group. Nice!

*** Nobody In Front, Nobody in Back, Whew! ***



Post Race and Placing and Podiums and Such
After the race I enjoyed cheering on our other finishers and watched Heidi, Christine, Annette and Macy cross with smiles. As it turns out Christine had placed first in the Athena division so Team UGB was headed to the awards ceremony for the first time – what a milestone! At the ceremony, we realized that they were actually doing medals five-deep which meant I’d get to go up on the podium (read: concrete step) for the first time. Only upon return to Diana’s house did Sir Patrick the Data Manager point out I actually placed twelfth overall out of the 438 finishers. So, fourth of 85 in my 35 – 39 age group division, twelfth overall and an accidental medal. We came to the race for the time spent with family and friends and left with that plus a little hardware, what a nice surprise!


*** Post Race Love: Armpits and All! ***


*** Team UGB: Laughing and Pointing ***


*** A Tale of Two Podiums! ***


*** Will Diana Get Post Race Kisses from Patrick? ***


Sneek Peek
Okay, I know I’ve said no more looking back but I gave myself a mulligan on this race. Results from all four years (Data Manager Patrick will appreciate this, I hope) plus a shot of the 2007 finish line next to the 2010 finish line. I guess anything is possible after all.

*** Four Years of Race Analysis ***


*** Anything is Possible ***
 
 
Years of cherished memories of time spent with family and friends. Thank you Valley Girlz!