Friday, October 14, 2016

2016 Ironman Word Championships Race Report Part I of III: What it Took



2016 Ironman Word Championships Race Report Part I of III: What it Took

________________________
WHAT IT TOOK

Remember when we were little kids and got to swim, ride our bikes and run around all day? Well, I’ve been at this so-called “adult” sport of stringing them together for almost ten years. I was careful to label this post “What it Took” because this was my path. From my perspective it was an AWESOME one!  “What it Takes” on the other hand, can look a lot different.   Case in point: The gal I met in line to pay for Kona at the Ironman Texas awards ceremony.  In discussing our paths she offered: “Well I didn’t qualify in my first race so I had to do another one.  It was SO HARD to keep training for another entire year!”  I just smiled and gave her a big hug.  Hey, anything is possible!

So, with out further adieu, this is what it took.


It Took:  A lot of work for a long time.  Red dots are the “Training Stress Score” (TSS Points) for the day.  The blue shaded area represents the “Chronic Training Load” (CTL) accumulated by racking up those TSS points.  It’s not a sacrifice, it’s an investment.



 Performance Management Chart from Training Peaks
Early 2011 – Late 2016



It Took: Being a member of Endurance Nation, a team full of Wicked Smart Members and two ridiculously smart coaches since 2010.  They taught me to teach myself!


With EN Teammate Jeremy for a short run after our team swim. 
I kept up for an ENTIRE 30”!  


It Took: Persistence.



You learn a lot in ten Ironmans.  Just sayin’…


It Took: A village in Raise the Bar, my local team.  These are the folks I get to train with!


Let’s Roll RTB!


It Took: An awesome work team. It’s amazing to be at with a company where we are all encouraged to be ourselves and let our flair shine through.  My boss in particular, has been a huge cheerleader.


 Anyone else get “leid at work” the day before they head to the Ironman World Championships?


It Took: A team. Team Edwards, especially the Husband Hero (HH) half is what made this happen. A couple of years ago someone said to me “You owe Mark a trip to Kona.”  Of course he doesn’t feel that way but regardless I’m SO proud that we earned this together!



Team Edwards in Kona!  BAM!!!