One Last Dance at the Big Dance
Racing took an abrupt detour after Kona 2016 straight into a cancer diagnosis and a lot of… life. Seven years, four surgeries and two moves later finds us happy, healthy and in what we hope is our forever home. Our cup runneth over. And yet…. that feeling of unfinished business. Let’s make it to a start line one more time. I’ll retire from Ironman on my own terms - tend a garden or become a yoga instructor - something much more zen.
Training went well. My body is different, but it works and I can do the damn thing and for that I am truly grateful. I knew I was as prepared as I could be and proud of the work I’d put in. We were looking forward to spending quality time with teammates we chat with daily yet rarely see in person. Heidi and Robin were driving in to support and Brian was flying in from Michigan!
Race day went by all too fast and all too slow at once. A solid swim, bike and run and I arrived at mile 20 running well with a doubled resolve for retiring at the finish line. Then there was Robin with this little nugget at mile 20.5: I was within striking distance of a Kona slot. That was absolutely the worst news and the best news all at once after years on the bubble, just missing out due to this or that. The bubble is not a particularly fun place to be.
What that meant for me in that moment was I had to really be sure I’d emptied the tank. No regrets, no surrender. One more time. My back was on the verge of completely imploding, every port-a-pottie beckoned like a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow and my quads were about to break up with me once and for all. I hadn’t walked yet and didn’t intend to start now. I thought about those that couldn't. I thought about the times I couldn't. I thought about what a privilege it was to be in this moment.
1️⃣ One Last Dance
2️⃣ Mark and Heidi at the finish
3️⃣ Team mojo swim
4️⃣ Swim course race day vibe
5️⃣ Team mojo bike
6️⃣ Thumbs up on the race day bike
7️⃣ Post race refreshment
8️⃣ Mark, Heidi, Robin and Brian
9️⃣ “Jennifer Edwards, Aloha!”
🔟 Mark as the sun sets on our day








